Forum topic

1 post / 0 new
Last post
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 15/05/2004 - 00:00
Stand alone Northern Bullants last win.

One for the archives Age article on game between Northern Bullants and Murray Kangaroos played on Sunday 23rd June 2002 at Coburg.

The Bullants entered the game in the 8, even though they won they dropped a position as Williamstown who were 9th went won against Bendigo and went into 8th. This was the Bullants 4th win a row and was to be their last as a stand alone club. Great game, article doesn't have scores but for memory it was a very high scoring game with the Bullants winning by 6 points, the article does say 8 but pretty sure it was 6.

Ironically the Bullants played Carlton the next week. They played like millionares and lost to Carlton by 5pts, from memory it Carlton 22.5.137 to Northern Bullants 19.18.132

Bullants fight off Roo charge to win thriller
By Gordon Oldham
June 24 2002

In one of the best games of the VFL season, the Northern Bullants scored a thrilling eight-point win over the Murray Kangaroos at Coburg.

The Bullants appeared to have the match in their keeping when they finished the third quarter with six goals to take a 38-point lead into the last change.

But the Kangaroos, with the aid of a breeze, stormed out of the blocks in the last quarter, answering coach Paul Hamilton's plea to play for pride in the best possible fashion.

The Kangaroos booted four goals in the first nine minutes as Drew Petrie and the Motlop brothers, Daniel and Shannon, dominated in the midfield. With the lead trimmed to 15 points, the Roos had comfortably returned to their traditional long-kicking style of play and looked increasingly threatening.

The Bullants quickly replied with two goals to Shannon Gibson and lively forward Mark Favrin, but the Kangaroos managed one last charge.

First David Bourke snapped accurately with his left boot, then a Daniel Motlop handball set his brother free and, in the 22nd minute, Shannon Watt capitalised from a free kick directly in front.

However, the Bullants withstood the challenge and played smart football as time ticked away.

Daniel Sage was a steadying influence on the Bullant back line and Jamie Cann's quick hands and good delivery by foot set up a number of scoring opportunities.

At North Hobart Oval, demoted Demon Stephen Powell led Sandringham to an 11-point win over Tasmania, 15.414 (104) to 14.9 (93).

The Zebras booted five goals in the last quarter to convert a six-point deficit into victory. Tall timber Rick Hayward and Cameron Templeton (four goals) caused plenty of headaches for the Devils, while Ben Beams kicked four goals for the home side.

Carlton demolished North Ballarat, winning by 95 points, 22.8 (140) to 6.9 (45).

The win keeps the Blues' finals hopes alive, hovering just outside the eight with a 6-5 win-loss record.

Sam Cranage, former Crow Andrew Eccles and Ian Prendergast (four goals) led the way for Carlton.

At Williamstown, a valiant Bendigo was again unable to break through for a victory, the Seagulls winning by 29 points.

The Diggers trailed by only 13 points at the main break before Williamstown gradually edged away. Captain Troy West was the Seagulls' best, along with Magpie Carl Steinfort producing an impressive performance.